There’s something very comforting about a light shining in the dark. It’s why children want nightlights in their bedrooms and why – as adults – we seek outdoor lighting for our homes.
Whether you’re using floodlights, deck and patio lights or lower-profile hardscape lighting, there are a few different benefits to illuminating your property.
Benefits of Landscape Lighting
1. You can show off your home
This is perhaps the number one reason people seek out backyard lighting ideas. Outdoor lights allow you to show off your property night and day and – when positioned the right way – can let you highlight certain features of your home or landscaping.
2. You’ll keep your home and family safe
Installing outdoor lighting protects you, your family and your home. Lighting can help you be aware of stairs, drop-offs and other trip hazards. Lighting up your walkways, driveways and the numbers on your house makes it easier for visitors to find their way to your door.
At the same time, a well-lit home is one that’s less likely to become a target for burglars or vandals. Shining a light on doors and windows makes it harder for someone to try to break in.
3. You’ll get more use out of your property
When you light up your backyard or your patio, you can use those spaces after the sun sets. Whether you’re using flood lights or lamps attached to deck posts, outdoor lighting lets you, your family and your friends enjoy the outdoors any time of day or night.
Illuminating your home gets easier with app-controlled lighting systems
People have looked for backyard lighting ideas for as long as there’s been lighting systems. The only thing that’s changed is the way we switch on the lights.
These days, it’s as simple as picking up your iPhone, thanks to app-controlled lighting systems, a technology that’s offered by two of our suppliers, Kichler and WAC Landscape Lighting.
Kichler allows homeowners to pair their Design Pro LED DC Controller with a Vera Gateway and app to control lighting schedules, programs and zones from any mobile device.
Kichler’s app – it’s simple to use:
- App-controlled lighting systems typically work on Apple and Android devices.
- You can program your lights to come on and off at certain times, or to switch on when the sun sets and turn off again at daybreak.
- Want a dramatic effect at your next gathering party? Do you need a way to switch on the lights when everyone shouts “Surprise!” at a birthday party? You can do that right from your smartphone.
- App-controlled lighting can integrate with a larger smart phone system.
- Allows users to customize control based on activity.
- The system has a cloud-based back-up, protecting your data in case of power outages.
Meanwhile, WAC Lighting’s ilumenight series fixtures bills itself as “a rainbow in the dark,” allowing customers to change the color on your outdoor lighting fixtures.
WAC’s ilumenight lets users:
- Change colors in real time
- Control up to eight different fixtures
- Customize scene settings
- Access dimming and color temperature controls
Other WAC fixtures are adjustable for wattage and beam spread.
Are you looking for other backyard lighting ideas? Yardville Supply can help. We carry lighting solutions from Kichler, WAC and other trusted suppliers.